Monday, September 24, 2012

Natural Consequences

As many of you know, I am a mother in addition to being a school counselor.  We currently have a 3 year old, and if you remember, this is a time that challenges your patience and parenting skills! So just like you, I often find myself looking for new strategies and insights.  

I have found that oftentimes, in our attempts to teach our children right from wrong, we are very busy coming up with consequences for their negative behaviors. . . and it is exhausting!  Are we punishing them, or ourselves, with these elaborate consequences??  I am a firm believer that when possible the best consequences are natural consequences.

I came across a great article about how to use natural consequences effectively.  Very importantly, it talks about how parents unknowingly sabotage the natural consequence. 

Check out the article at http://blog.positivediscipline.com/2012/04/natural-consequences.html!

No comments:

Post a Comment